Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tips for traveling abroad (2/27/13 WAGS Assignment)


Last year I had the pleasure of studying abroad in German for the year.  I did not go with any friends or anyone from Winona State.  The idea of going abroad for the year was exciting and scary at the same time.  While I was living abroad for the year I met many different people from all over the world.  I learned very quickly that small towns in Europe were completely different then small towns like Winona, MN. I would like to share a few stories, and a few tips that could help people travel safer and more informed.
            The first tip I’d like to give for someone who is going abroad is: You’re an American and not everyone is going to like you.  On my trip to Paris, France I was having dinner in a bar-lounge restaurant with a few of my American and Irish friends.  A group of local Parisians heard us speaking English and were interested in practicing their English with us.  Our conversation centered on American politics (mistake!) and travel.  Our new French friends were probably enjoying a few too many glasses of wine, because like a light switch they began to start yelling at us for no reason.  After a few minutes of being humiliated and yelled at for being American the waiter came to throw the group of French men out.  Although there was no provoking on our end it is important to know that not all people are friendly to Americans.  After this situation I was always very skeptical of sharing where I was from.
Another tip I would like to share with regards to the Paris story: don’t consume too much alcohol in a town you are not familiar with.  The story involves my good friend Lily, who is from Ireland. Lily has a very strong personality and tends to do whatever she wants when she wants.  One of my first nights in Germany I met Lily, and we were celebrating a Birthday for a mutual friend, Peter.  We were in another city close to where we were staying and Lily was… well… needless to say – drinking too much.  Lily walked off by her self that night and was robbed.  Lily’s phone and all of her money were stolen.  The point of this story is getting out of control in any new city is something you should not do. 
            My last tip I would like to share is: Try and learn the Learning the language of the land.  Learning the language  ofthe country you will be traveling to is very important, even if it is just a few small phrases.  Locals are far friendlier if you attempt to try and speak their language then just assuming they should know English.  This was the case when I went to Italy and I needed to buy medicine at a drug store.  I saw that the medication was behind the front desk and without thinking I asked the old man behind the desk for the pills, in English.  He knew what I had asked for but gave me a dirty look and kind of threw the bottle on the counter and said nothing.  Although this was not a huge deal I should have had better manners and asked if English was okay.   

14 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting topic to write about. One of my really good friends is going to study abroad in England next fall, so I will definitely have to give her a little lesson! The first and third tips that you talked about show something about our American attitudes. Even though you didn't provoke the men in any way, just speaking to people from America leaves a bad taste in their mouth. I think that could be from the big-headed attitudes that America gives off. The third tip you talked about was also a good lesson. Another example of American attitudes, we just assume that everyone speaks English! I'm glad that you learned a lot on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all these helpful stories, I have always had the desire to travel so any information is helpful to me. Definitely was aware of the fact that American's are not always favored...Not really sure if this was an activist blog? Regardless, I enjoyed the information you shared, and glad to hear you experienced something so enriching :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there isn't much of a call to action. It was more of a "I had some bad experiences, here is what they were, don't repeat them".

      Delete
  3. As a person that has never studied abroad, this blog was so helpful and insightful. I'm not sure I will ever have the chance to travel to another country, but if I do, I now have some good tips to help me get through. I'm glad that you learned as much as you did and then shared it with us, it's much more helpful than if you had just read up on the topic and shared it with us. I do have to say that I'm not sure if I understand how this is an activist topic though: it gives good tips but doesn't ask for much change besides what we learn. Maybe be an advocate for a little more change than just informing us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting topic! Yes traveling abroad we must be aware not everyone likes us. Its very true. And I don't blame them most of the time! Americans do often look ugly, arrogant and ignorant. We have to set a good example for other Americans. Drinking too much in an unfamiliar place is risky, especially when you don't know the language! We must stay mindful of our surroundings at all times, especially when we are somewhere unfamiliar. I would like to see you get more political and examine why people may not like Americans, or discover statistics on assaults/muggings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I don't see the change writing part of the blog. Generally acting with respect and sensitivity a good plan of action any time you're a visitor anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is not supposed to be a travel blog. This is supposed to be an activist blog. Aside from maybe being able to latch it onto "multicultural experience is a good thing and you should do it" (which I would only believe you actually considered the first half of), I would say that you pretty much failed on every single facet of writing an activist blog. There are countless topics to blog on that need change - if you don't think there are any, then I would seriously recommend looking at the gratuitous amount of privilege you have. And then write a blog about it and how it distorts your perception on life beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow way to be overly blunt. I think there was a way to say the things you did without being so rude. Sorry, but if someone wrote that comment on your blog how would you feel.

      Delete
  7. Seems like an at least interesting blog.You could have done something better but it seems useful if I were to go travel somewhere though. Kind of common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think people are being extremely rude to you on here, and its super disrespectful. I think your blog is helpful, I have never been to any European countries yet, however, I believe I can use your tips when I do go there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading about your experiences, as I have always wanted to travel abroad but am not planning on it for an extended period of time until I can teach overseas. You brought up very helpful tips for anyone who may be considering spending a lot of time in another country as an American. Maybe I would add your personal thoughts about how being treated unfairly by people in other countries made you feel. How do we rectify this problem? Can we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to Germany a few years ago too and all of these tips are relevant. Though I do wish you would have been a bit more political and choosen somethings a bit more change driven. Next time around try to find a topic that you are more passionate about and give us real things we can get out there and do! Like how can we try to show the rest of the world that not all Americans suck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry you are getting a lot of rude and disrespectful comments on your blog from some of our classmates, I don't think it is very fair regardless what the topic is about. But aside from that, I think this is a great blog, it is very informative and an opener to someone like me who's never travel to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great topic! I am in love with traveling and would not give up any experiences (good or bad) for anything! A lot of people are not aware of different things they may run into and you shared some great advice.

    ReplyDelete